Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Walk 17: Small Buildings Need Not Apply: La Défense

This is another one where I didn't have my camera with me. A few of us were grabbing food at the mall at La Défense, and decided to make a walk out of it. I can't say that I'm all that glad that we did.

Paris is old. Old and beautiful and brimming with history, and it hurts a little bit to see skyscrapers towering above the city. I understand the need for new development, especially in this town, where strict policies make it nearly impossible to renovate anything, for history's sake, and if I lived here permanently, maybe I'd appreciate a new building here and there. But I don't live here permanently, and, as a long-term tourist, I wish Paris could be all Notre Dames and Sacré Coeurs, and 18th century hotels.

That being said I'm sure that these are the same things people said when they constructed the Eiffel Tower and the glass pyramid at the Louvre, both of which I love. Plus, the thumb was kind of cool, in a creepy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment